Cajun Chicken Stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese & Spinach
The recipe title says it all. Chicken stuffed with pepper jack cheese, cajun seasonings and spinach. What else do you need? Enjoy!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained (you can also use fresh cooked spinach)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs (I used Italian style)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lots of toothpicks
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from Www.cookingcreation.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Flatten the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine the pepper jack cheese, spinach, salt and pepper.
Combine the Cajun seasoning and breadcrumbs together in a small bowl.
Spoon about 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture onto each chicken breast. Roll each chicken breast tightly and fasten the seams with several toothpicks. This part requires a tiny bit of skill and I typically use about 8 toothpicks in each roll to ensure none of the filling seeps out. Be sure to count how many total toothpicks were used!
Brush each chicken breast with the olive oil. Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning mixture evenly over all. Make sure you get underneath, too. Sprinkle any remaining spinach and cheese on top of chicken (optional).
Place the chicken seam-side up onto a tin foil-lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove the toothpicks before serving. Count to make sure you have removed every last toothpick. Serve whole or slice into medallions.
*If you have little ones eating this or your spice tolerance is fairly low, halve the Cajun seasoning and double the breadcrumbs. Also, try substituting some of your favorite vegetables in place of the spinach. Some of my favorites include broccoli (parboiled before stuffing in the chicken) and crunchy chopped celery.
You'll also love
- Breakfast Casserole 4.6/5 (53 Votes)
- Yellow Squash Casserole 4.4/5 (66 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Ranch Chicken 4.4/5 (65 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic... 4.4/5 (68 Votes)
- Chicken, Broccoli, and Stuffing... 4.1/5 (92 Votes)
- Baked Parmesan Paprika Chicken 4.3/5 (74 Votes)
- Spinach Parmesan 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Low Calorie Spinach & Ricotta... 4.4/5 (71 Votes)