Cranberry Meringue Pie
This meringue pie with cranberries is a wonderful dessert to serve up for Thanksgiving. The sweet and tart flavor combination is amazing.
- 1 1/2 cups fine vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (from about 40 cookies)
- 1 stick (8-tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups Brandied Cranberry Sauce, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cups brandy
Preparation time 275mins
Cooking time 315mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
For the crust: Toss the cookie crumbs with the melted butter in a medium bowl until well combined. Press into a 9-inch pie plate and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
For the filling: Put 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the top. Let stand 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the Brandied Cranberry Sauce, sugar and lime zest in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture and orange juice; set aside to cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
For the meringue topping: Once the pie is set, put the egg whites, sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl set over, not in, a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the egg whites are foamy and warm to the touch. Remove from the heat, and whip in a stand mixer on medium-high to stiff, glossy peaks.
To assemble the pie: Spread the meringue over the top of the set filling. Using a kitchen torch, brown the meringue all over. Slice and serve.
Brandied Cranberry Sauce:
Combine the cranberries, sugar and brandy in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and some of the cranberries have burst, about 20 minutes. Use right away or refrigerate, covered, for up to 1 week. Yield: About 9 cups
You'll also love
- Pow Pow Fried Shrimp 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- St. Patrick's Day Mint Oreo Cookie... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Chiffon Pumpkin Pie with Almond... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Banana Bundt Cake 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Turkey Breast Stuffed with Italian... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Raspberry-Cream Cheese Muffins 4.4/5 (24 Votes)