Pow Pow Fried Shrimp
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 - 2 tablespoons hot sauce (like Cholula )
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- oil for deep frying - vegetable, coconut or canola
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 handful of mixed greens
- 1 green onion, snipped with kitchen shears (green part only)
- Make a Delicious Bacon & Cheddar Dip
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Make the Sauce:
In a small bowl whisk the sauce ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate.
Set up the dredging station:
Add the cornstarch to a shallow bowl or plate and beat the eggs together in another. In a separate, wide shallow bowl or plate whisk together the flour, panko, salt, pepper and all the spices.
Bread the shrimp:
One at a time coat the shrimp with the cornstarch then dip in the egg allowing excess to drip off then coat with the bread crumb mixture patting on with your hands if needed. Set them on a platter or cutting board and refrigerate 20 minutes.
Heat 1 - 2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or in a big heavy-bottomed saucepan to 350 degrees F.
Fry the shrimp in batches for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack or paper-towel lined plate.
When all of the shrimp are fried add set the greens on a platter, top with the shrimp and drizzle with the sauce or serve it on the side for dipping. Garnish with green onions.