Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
Crisp-tender green beans are given a lift of sweet, smoky flavor with the addition of caramelized shallots.
- 2 pounds haricots verts (tiny green beans), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shallots, halved lengthwise and peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from southernliving.com
1. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
2. Melt butter and brown sugar with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add vinegar, and sauté 10 minutes or until shallots are golden brown and tender.
3. Increase heat to medium-high; add green beans, and sauté 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
You'll also love
- Vegetarian Mushroom Thyme Gravy 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Key Lime Cheesecake Pancakes 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Apple Pumpkin Muffins 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Thai Pumpkin Soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Baked Chicken, Green Beans and... 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- The Ultimate Green Bean Casserole... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Green Beans with Shallots, Thyme,... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)