Quick Pickled Jalapeno Rings
If you're a nacho lover, you know that Jalapeno Rings are a must for that hot kick. So, why buy them in a jar, when they are so easy to make for yourself? These keep, refrigerated, for weeks. This recipe comes from "Food Wishes".
- 10 large jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar (I like these kind of sweet, so use less or no sugar if you don’t)
- 3/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Wash the jalapenos, and slice thin with a sharp knife (a serrated knife works best). NOTE: Be sure to wash your hands, well, after slicing jalapenos. One wipe near the eyes, and you'll be crying for a while.
Place the sliced peppers into a strainer and rinse. with cold water; set aside.
In a pot, add the sugar, salt and white vinegar, water and the oregano (I used Mexican oregano). Add the crushed garlic clove.
Bring the brining liquid to a boil, then toss in the pepper slices and crushed garlic. Turn off the heat, give the peppers a stir.
WARNING: Do NOT inhale the steam! I speak from experience. It will clear your lungs super fast-- the fumes are strong!
Let the peppers cool for a bit-- about 10 minutes. You will see that the bright green peppers will turn a "Khaki green". This is normal, and there is no way to prevent the color change.
Using tongs, pack a clean Mason jar with the peppers, then cover with the brine. NOTE: I used an 8 oz. jar.
We are not doing a traditional "canning" where you must use a sterilized jar, and need to water can these. These are stored in the refrigerator. I have not tried to "can" these, but I would imagine that this would work as long as you create a good vacuum seal for dry storage.
You'll also love
- HCG Diet (P3) Danish Filling for... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Garlic Chicken Puffs 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Rhoda's Candied Sweet Potatoes -... 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Peach Butter 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Fried Pickles with Spicy Mayo 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Amish Pickled Beets 3.9/5 (64 Votes)