Peekaboo Pumpkin Pound Cake
The trick to this recipe is to bake the pumpkin bread first, let it cook and cut into pumpkin shapes and put into the pan before baking the pound cake. So festive and fun!
- POUND CAKE:
- 1 (14-ounce) box pumpkin bread mix
- 1 (16-ounce) box pound cake mix
- Orange food coloring
- 8 tablespoons butter, 1 stick
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from sheknows.com
Mix up pumpkin bread ingredients according to the directions on the box. Add orange food coloring to make it more "pumpkin-y" looking (less brown).
Bake in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan according to directions. Remove from oven before completely done, about 8-10 minutes less than instructed. Let cool, remove from pan and refrigerate for up to four hours. Cut cold pumpkin bread into large slices. Cut pumpkin shapes from slices.
Align them down the center of a lightly greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
Mix up your pound cake batter according to the directions on the box. Pour over your pumpkin bread cutouts in the pan, making sure to cover the tops of the pumpkins. You may have more pound cake batter than you need. Try not to overfill the pan. Bake according to the directions on the box. Let cool when done.
Meanwhile, prepare the brown butter pecan icing.
Put powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. In a saucepan, melt butter and boil, stirring until it starts to brown and form dark flecks on the sides and bottom.
Remove from heat. Pour the melted brown butter and flecks over the powdered sugar. Add the evaporated milk and vanilla. Stir until combined and creamy. Add more powdered sugar if it appears too runny or more evaporated milk if it seems too stiff.
Remove baked and cooled pound cake from pan and top with brown butter icing. Add chopped pecans, if desired.
Cut into slices and delight your guests with the pumpkin-shaped surprise that peeks out from inside!
You'll also love
- Apple Butter Thumbprint Cookies 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Roll with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Amaretto Almond Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Almost Homemade Lemon Cake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Black Walnut Pound Cake 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Banana / Pumpkin Bread - Nuwave... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pound Cake Sand Mountain 5/5 (1 Votes)