Whole-Wheat Almond-Butter Sandwich Cookies
Although these sandwiches provide double the pleasure, the delightfully crisp almond cookies are satisfying all on their own.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy natural almond butter, stirred
- 1 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 125mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed 1 minute. Add almond butter; beat until smooth. Beat in brown sugar, then egg, until well mixed. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in almonds.
Form dough into an 11-inch-long log, 1 3/4 inches in diameter. Wrap in parchment and freeze until firm, about 1 hour (or up to 3 months).
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Using a chef's knife, slice log into scant 1/4-inch-thick rounds, using one quick motion for each slice. Arrange rounds 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, pressing back into shape.
Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are light golden on edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored, covered, up to 5 days.
Beat cream cheese, honey, and vanilla with mixer on medium speed until combined. Spread 1 tablespoon each on bottoms of half of the cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread filling to edges. Filled cookies are best the same day.
You'll also love
- Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Crispy Baked Green Bean Fries 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Apricot Pound Cake 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Coconut Nutella No Bake Cookies 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Lemon Sugar Cookies 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Hazelnut Peanut Butter Sandwich... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate-Hazelnut... 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread 4.5/5 (2 Votes)