Autumn Turkey and Pumpkin Lasagna
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 7 oz. roasted chestnuts, chopped (These are usually jarred and can be found at most supermarkets this time of year)
- 1.5 tbsp. smoked paprika (spicy if you’ve got it)
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage leaves, sliced (about 15 leaves)
- 2 15 oz. cans pureed pumpkin (NOT Pumpkin Pie filling!!)
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 16 oz. (2 boxes) Whole Wheat lasagna, cooked
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 sage leaves for garnish
Begin by browning the turkey over medium heat with the olive oil. Once it’s cooked through (about 10 minutes), add the cranberries, apricots, green onions and paprika. Continue to saute for another 10 minutes, then stir in the chestnuts and sage leaves. Remove from heat and set aside.
While the turkey is cooking, combine the pureed pumpkin with the ricotta cheese and cardamom. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375° and begin to assemble your lasagna. Start with a layer of lasagna noodles, then turkey, then noodles, then pumpkin. Rinse, repeat. When you’ve used up all of your turkey, pumpkin and noodles, top the lasagna with mozzarella cheese and place a few sage leaves on top.
Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the cheese is brown and the lasagna is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.