Roasted Pork with Onions & Citrus
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced medium (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and roughly chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups strained fresh orange juice (from 4 juice oranges)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from 6 limes)
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), fat trimmed
Adapted from star-telegram.com
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in lower third. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 4 minutes. Add orange and lime juices and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, stir in oregano, and remove from heat.
Pat pork dry with paper towels. Season generously with salt and pepper and place in a heavy-bottomed ovenproof pot (pork should fit snugly). Pour onion mixture on and around pork, leaving some on top. Roast, uncovered, 30 minutes. Remove pot from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Ladle onion and cooking juices over pork. Cook, uncovered, until cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of pork should read 155 degrees), 1 1/2 hours, basting pork with onion and juices every 30 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing. To serve, skim fat from cooking juices and spoon sauce over sliced pork.
Serve with 'Cuban Red Beans & Rice' recipe under "Rice & Stuffing",
'Cuba Libre' recipe under "Beverages", 'Pico de Gallo' recipe under "Sauses & Salsas" and 'Baked Plantain Chips' under "Fruits"
You'll also love
- Orzo with Caramelized Onions and... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Beef Liver Pâté with Balsamic... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Aunt Mary's Blueberry Muffins 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Kielbasa and Kraut 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Lemon Fresh Spaghetti with Garden... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Honey Orange Glazed Carrots 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Orecchiette with Kale, Bacon, and... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)