Roasted Apple, Bacon, & Frisée Salad
A happy marriage of sweet, sour, and salty, this dish is sure to satisfy. The warm bacon dressing wilts the frisée slightly, so dress the salad immediately before you serve it.
- 2 large apples (Braeburn or Fuji), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- 2 medium shallots, very thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 2 large bunches frisée lettuce, outer leaves removed (see notes)
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 400º F.
In a small bowl, combine apples, olive oil, syrup, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat, then transfer apple slices to a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Stir, then continue to cook until golden brown and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine shallots and vinegar. Set aside.
In a heavy frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp and brown, about 7 minutes; drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons. of the accumulated bacon fat and return pan to low heat. Remove shallots from vinegar, reserving shallots, and add vinegar to hot bacon fat, whisking until dressing is emulsified.
Arrange frisée in a bowl and add apples, bacon pieces, and shallots. Pour warm dressing over greens and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (703 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (673 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)