Stovetop Cracked Fingerling Potatoes
This recipe for fingerling potatoes was adapted from Food Network. The original recipe uses Yukon Gold Potatoes, and a lot more olive oil than I would normally use. I love fingerling potatoes, so this is my preferred way to serve them.
You can use Yukon, or Red Bliss Potatoes-- just try to buy them "small" and uniform in size. The trick is learning how to "crack" each potato without smashing them. The first few times that I made this recipe, I used too much force and I had potato bits flying across my kitchen counter! You can use a rolling pin-- I have learned to use my meat pounder (the edge). What you want is to see a "fissure". This lets the steam escape.
- Olive oil (I use a non-stick skillet so I need no more than 1 tablespoon)
- 1 pound Fingerling potatoes (or your choice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, or thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 cloves fresh minced garlic (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
You will need a skillet with a tight fitting lid.
Using either a rubber mallet, rolling pin or a heavy pan, "whack" each potato so that you see a small crack (fissure). Be careful, or pieces of potato can go flying everywhere!
Heat oil in skillet to a medium high heat. Add potatoes and season with kosher salt & pepper. Add fresh herbs. Put the lid onto the skillet. Allow the potatoes to cook at medium high for 2-3 minutes; shake skillet every 2-3 minutes until they start to look browned.
Reduce heat to medium low for approx 20-30 minutes. The larger the potatoes, the longer it will take.
When the potatoes are fork tender, remove lid and add garlic and shake the skillet to distribute evenly.
Allow moisture to evaporate, turn off heat and serve.
You'll also love
- Zucchini Side Dish 4.4/5 (49 Votes)
- Chili Sauce for Hot Dogs, Fries... 4.4/5 (48 Votes)
- Christmas Poke Cake 4.5/5 (39 Votes)
- Baked Stuffed Eggplant 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Greek Potato and Tomato Bake 4.5/5 (39 Votes)
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Coconut Rice with Sweet Chili Sauce 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Green Beans with Potatoes & Ham 4.1/5 (88 Votes)