Green Goddess Salad With Romaine, Cucumber and California Avocado (sonoma diet)
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings, 1 1/2 cups
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 hot house cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced 1/4 inch wide half moons
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- 1 California avocado, ripe
- 1/2 cup Green Goddess Dressing (see below)
- 1 tablespoon chives, cut 1/4 inch wide
- Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
Cut lettuce in half lengthwise, remove core and cut into 1inch wide pieces, wash well and spin in salad spinner to remove excess water.
Combine lettuce, cucumber, and radishes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Use a large kitchen spoon to scoop out the flesh. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Toss romaine mixture with the salad dressing, adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon, gently mix in the avocado.
Divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle with chives.
The cucumbers, radishes and lettuce can be cut in advance. Wait until the last minute to cut the avocado or it will brown.
Replace cucumber and radishes, with any of the following vegetables: jicama, tomato, red, green or yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm, or celery.
For a heartier salad: add 8 ounces of cooked chicken breast cut in ½ inch pieces tossed with 2 tablespoons dressing.
Green Goddess Dressing
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 cup, (16 - 1 tablespoon servings)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup white beans, cooked, drained
1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
3 anchovy filets, chopped
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1 tablespoon tarragon or parsley leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
1 shake Tabasco
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons low fat sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine buttermilk, white beans, garlic and anchovy in blender. Blend until smooth. Add in remaining ingredients except sour cream and pulse until slightly chunky. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir in sour cream.
Puree the bean mixture until smooth. The sour cream is stirred in later to help give body to the dressing. The dressing should be assertive. It can be used as a dip or spread.
Replace buttermilk with Greek yogurt (of well drained non fat yogurt)
You can reduce the amount of anchovies and stir in a drop of soy sauce.
You'll also love
- Fettuccine Alfredo ( Light and... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Beef Brisket Roast 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Red Russian Kale and Chorizo Soup 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Paula Deen's Lime Sherbet Punch 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- ONION RINGS Amish Recipe 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Skillet Cherry Cobbler 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Agua Fresca de Pepino (cucumber... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Avocado Toasts with Heirloom... 4/5 (1 Votes)