Strawberry Rhubarb Drop Scones
These are easy enough to make for a weekday breakfast. Perfect with fresh rhubarb and strawberries from your garden, but still yummy with store bought produce. Serve with traditional clotted cream, or butter.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups mixed diced rhubarb and strawberries
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Raw sugar for sprinkling, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl in stand mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter pieces. Add the rhubarb and strawberries.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, egg yolk and buttermilk, then add to the flour-fruit mixture. Stir until combined.
Drop about 1/3 cup of the dough onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat them down slightly until they are a uniform thickness (about 1/2 - 3/4 inch). If using, sprinkle tops with raw sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes (a little less if you opt for smaller scones) or until the scones are golden and the edges beginning to brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
You'll also love
- Magic Peach Cobbler 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Green Bean Bundles with Garlic... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Quick Ramen with Carrots, Zucchini... 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Spring Salad with Ginger Peach Tea... 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake/Muffins 4.1/5 (63 Votes)
- Rhubarb-Blueberry Crumble 4.3/5 (17 Votes)