Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
- 3 (15-1/2-oz) cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups), rinsed & drained
- 1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup shallot, minced well
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 16-oz can pumpkin puree (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- sour cream, to taste
- lightly toasted pumpkin seeds, to taste
1. In a food processor, coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
In a 6-qt heavy kettle, cook onion, shallot, cumin, salt and pepper in butter over medium heat, stirring until onion is softened and beginning to brown.
2. Stir in bean puree.
Stir in broth, pumpkin, and sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.
Just before serving add ham and vinegar, stir until heated through.
3. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Garnish with dollop of sour cream and toasted pumkin seeds.
You'll also love
- Plum Torte Bars 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Crustless Blueberry Pie Dessert 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Garlic Chicken with Bow tie Pasta 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Spinach Souffle Stuffed Mushrooms 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cuban-style Pumpkin Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Butternut Squash and Corn Pie 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Cheesecake -... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate and Black Bean Chile... 4/5 (1 Votes)