Cuban-style Pumpkin Soup
This soup can be made vegetarian; just omit the meaty topping and substitue vegetable broth. Serve with an argula salad for a light but filling and flavorful lunch or supper.
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 cubanelle or Italian green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 T salt
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 oz each) unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 4 oz prosciutto, sliced
- 1 T shelled pumpkin seeds
In a large sauce pan over medium heat, saute the onions and green pepper in olive oil for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Season with salt.
Add chicken stock, pumpkin, and the remaining spices. Bring the mixture to a boil, turn off the heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
Puree mixture in the blender in 2 batches. Transfer the mixture to saucepan to reheat.
Garnish hot soup with prosciutto, pumpkin seeds, and if desired, a dollop of sour cream.
You'll also love
- Chive Butter Sauce for Salmon 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Desserts - Weight Watchers Banana... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Cranberry Rhubarb Crisp 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Broccoli / Brie Soup 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Butternut Squash and Corn Pie 4/5 (1 Votes)
- SEAFOOD STUFFED ZUCCHINI 4/5 (1 Votes)
- WEIGHT WATCHERS CRUSTLESS PUMPKIN... 3.8/5 (5 Votes)