New Year Black-Eyed Peas
RIng in the New Year in with this lucky and delicious Black-Eyed Peas soup! FIlled with the rich and savory flavors of black-eyed peas, ham hocks, ground thyme, and other spices, this recipe is best served in bowls, garnished with fresh parsley and cheese, and of course, some crusty bread slices for dipping. Eat this dish to ensure prosperity in the New Year and overall good flavors while you're eating it.
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound smoked ham hocks
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 pepperoncini peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 680mins
Place the black-eyed peas into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
In a large stock pot over medium heat, cook and stir onion and garlic in olive oil until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and 8 cups water, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer.
Stir in soaked black-eyed peas, ham hocks, tomatoes, pepperoncini, bay leaf, garlic powder, thyme, and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, ham meat is falling off the bones, and the broth is thickened, about 3 hours.
You'll also love
- Corn Flake Christmas Wreaths 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Pineapple Cheese Ball 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Grandma's Sugar Cookie Martini 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Soft Baked Pretzels 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Quinoa Black Bean Burgers 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Coquito - Puerto Rican Coconut... 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Bush’s Best Three Bean Chili 4.1/5 (52 Votes)
- Winter Lentil Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)