Dessert Misc: Coconut Panna Cotta with Mango-Lime Coulis
Gluten Free. In this delicate dessert, coconut milk replaces dairy cream. Unlike animal-based long-chain saturated fats, coconut’s medium-chain fatty acids actually increase “good” HDL and lower “bad” LDL cholesterol; coconut is also anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and contains metabolism-boosting lauric acid. A sweet-tart mango sauce and ripe papaya slices offer anti-inflammatory vitamin C plus vibrant flavor and color.
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon agar flakes (not powder)
- 1 6-inch vanilla bean pod
- 5 tablespoons honey (divided)
- 1 cup plain Greek low-fat yogurt
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 (8 ounces) ripe mango (peeled and cubed)
- Fresh papaya slices (for garnish)
Lightly but completely oil five ½-cup ramekins (or use cooking spray). Whisk coconut milk into a small saucepan; stir in agar flakes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds into coconut milk. Add vanilla pod, too. Bring to a full boil (entire surface, not just edges). Reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until agar is mostly dissolved, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl, using a fine-mesh strainer; press lightly. Discard any solids.
Whisk 4 tablespoons honey into strained coconut milk. Add yogurt and a generous pinch of salt; whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared ramekins and chill, covered, at least 1½ hours.
In a blender, combine remaining 1 tablespoon honey, lime zest and juice, and mango; purée until smooth.
Run a knife around edge of ramekins. Invert onto serving plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons mango-lime coulis (sauce) over each. Garnish with papaya slices. Serve with remaining coulis on the side.
You'll also love
- Creole Macaroni and Cheese 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- My Lemon Curd 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Red Velvet Pound Cake 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Dessert Misc: Skillet Peach Cobbler 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Mango float 4/5 (46 Votes)
- Jamie Oliver's Easy Orange-Carrot... 3.7/5 (180 Votes)
- Toasted Coconut Waffles 4.5/5 (13 Votes)