Lemon Caper Calamari Steaks with Broccolini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 lb Broccolini, trimmed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 frozen calamari steaks (1 lb total), thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon bottled capers in brine, rinsed and drained
- Accompaniment: lemon wedges
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add Broccolini and cook, turning with tongs, until coated with oil, then add water and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter with tongs and keep warm, loosely covered with foil.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. While oil heats, stir together flour, cheese, and pepper in a wide shallow bowl, then lightly beat egg with water in another wide shallow bowl. Dredge 1 calamari steak in flour mixture, shaking off excess, then dip in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, and transfer to a plate. Dredge another steak in flour and dip in egg in same manner, then sauté coated steaks over moderately high heat, turning over once, until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes total. Transfer to platter with Broccolini and keep warm, loosely covered. Dredge, dip, and sauté remaining 2 steaks in same manner, transferring to platter.
Pour off fat from skillet, then add butter, lemon juice (to taste), and capers to skillet and cook over moderate heat just until butter melts, about 45 seconds. Pour lemon caper sauce over calamari steaks and serve immediately.