Lemon Blueberry Cake
Fresh blueberries and lemons make this moist cake balanced in sweetness and brightness. It's a beautiful cake, perfect for entertaining.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, at room temperature, rinsed and drained well
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened (1 1/2 packages)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Blueberries and lemon slices, for garnish (optional)
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 190mins
Adapted from cookingclassy.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter three 9-inch round baking pans and line the bottom of each with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and lightly dust pan with flour, shaking out excess.
Sift cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (if you don't have the paddle attachment that constantly scrapes sides of the bowl while mixing, then stop mixer occasionally throughout entire mixing process and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl), whip together butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest until mixture is pale and fluffy. In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup, measure out milk then stir in sour cream and lemon juice, let rest 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix eggs into butter mixture one a time, then stir in lemon extract and vanilla extract. Toss blueberries with 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture. Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with remaining flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the milk mixture and mixing just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in blueberries. Divide mixture evenly among prepared baking pans. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 24 - 27 minutes. Cool in baking pans about 20 - 30 minute then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
Once cool, frost with cream cheese frosting and decorate with blueberries and lemon slices if desired. Store in an airtight container.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, whip butter until pale and fluffy. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon extract and powdered sugar and blend several minutes longer until smooth and fluffy (if frosting seems slightly runny, you can chill it for a bit before frosting cake).
You'll also love
- Cheesy Quinoa Cakes with a Roasted... 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Saucy Stuffed Zucchini 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Strawberry Cake 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Sufganiyot 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Pecan Praline Cookies with Brown... 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- The Best Louisiana Crunch Cake Ever 4.2/5 (62 Votes)
- Lemon Cream Bonbons 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dump Cake 4.3/5 (47 Votes)