Souffléed Omelet with Goat Cheese, Asparagus, & Ham
The fillings for this omelet compliment each other perfectly; thin slices of Serrano ham, goat cheese, asparagus spears, and chopped mint are folded into a baked omelet, which are cut into wedges for serving.
- 4 asparagus spears
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soft goat cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 4 paper-thin slices Serrano ham (about 1-ounce)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a wide medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the asparagus, and cook until bright green and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Plunge asparagus into ice-water bath to stop the cooking; let cool completely. Drain; halve lengthwise, and set aside.
Melt butter in a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Remove skillet from heat; set aside. Whisk together egg yolks, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until pale and thick; set aside.
Put egg whites and a pinch of salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into yolk mixture. Using a large rubber spatula, spread mixture evenly into reserved skillet. Bake until omelet is almost set but still soft, about 6 minutes.
Sprinkle goat cheese and mint over half the omelet. Top with asparagus and a layer of ham. Fold plain half over filled half. Bake until cheese has melted and omelet is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges, and serve.
You'll also love
- Mustard Salmon with Cannellini... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Parmesan Turkey Cutlets 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Skillet-Roasted Okra and Shrimp 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Spinach-Orzo Salad with Shrimp 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Shiitake & Roasted Red Pepper Puff... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Sour Cream Chicken 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Quick Chicken Divan 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Baked Brie with Raspberry Jam,... 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
Review this recipe