Batter Fried Mushrooms
Fresh, hot fried mushrooms made in the comfort and convenience of your own home. Serve with ranch dressing or your favorite dipping sauce, anything will work, even a zesty chipotle aioli. This recipe is perfect for game day or any day when you're craving fried foods but want to make it a little healthy by eating fried veggies instead. This recipe is best served immediately, but beware, the mushrooms will be extremely hot, so let them cool off a little.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- shortening or oil for deep frying
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
In mixing bowl, combine the flour, cheese, salt, and garlic powder. Stir in the water, melted shortening, and egg; beat till smooth. Pat the mushrooms dry.
Dip mushrooms into the batter. Fry, a few mushrooms at a time, in shortening heated to 365°F. Fry until the mushrooms are golden, about 3 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper toweling. Salt lightly and serve immediately.
To ensure nice, crispy, light mushrooms make sure the oil is at the proper temperature before dropping mushrooms in. Otherwise, they will soak up oil and be greasy and heavy. Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then serve with ranch dressing or whatever sauce you'd like.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (886 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (889 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (684 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (493 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (497 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Cinnamon Toast, the Pioneer Woman... 4.5/5 (441 Votes)