Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
This recipe comes from Food Network's Ina Garten. I made a few adaptions, because this recipe is not only easy, but it's versatile. I used portobellos, instead of button mushrooms. I used turkey sausage, which is less greasy. These are very easy to make, and a big hit!
Come visit my food blog to see how I made these:
- 16 extra-large white mushrooms (I used large Portobellos or creminis)
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Marsala wine or medium sherry
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casings (I used turkey sausage)
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup panko crumbs
- 5 ounces mascarpone cheese, preferably from Italy
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside. Place the mushroom caps in a shallow bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and Marsala. Set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook the sausage for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it's completely browned. Add the chopped mushroom stems and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in the scallions and garlic and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the panko crumbs, stirring to combine evenly with all the other ingredients. Finally, swirl in the mascarpone and continue cooking until the mascarpone has melted and made the sausage mixture creamy. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan, parsley, and season with salt and pepper, to taste, Cool slightly.
Fill each mushroom generously with the sausage mixture. Arrange the mushrooms in a baking dish large enough to hold all the mushrooms in a snug single layer. Bake for 50 minutes or until the stuffing is browned and crusty.
Note: My mushrooms were ready in 25 minutes.
Fresh thyme, more garlic and red pepper flakes made these even more flavorful.
You'll also love
- French Onion & Roast Beef Grilled... 4.5/5 (61 Votes)
- Grapefruit White Wine Spritzer 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Rum & Coke Jello Shots 4/5 (150 Votes)
- Fruity Pebble Cupcakes 4.3/5 (74 Votes)
- Twice Baked Potatoes - Weight... 4.2/5 (88 Votes)
- Cheesy Italian Sausage & Potato... 4.1/5 (108 Votes)
- Crock Pot Pineapple Chicken with... 4/5 (123 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole 4.5/5 (58 Votes)