- 3 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken brothSub one of these cans for cream of chicken soup if you like it thick
- 2 chicken boullion cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 8 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)(we used Provel cheese)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
2. Place potato slices and onion in a 5-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Combine 1/2 cup water and ingredients through pepper; stir into mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
3. Mash somes of themixture with a potato masher if desired; stir in milk and cheese. Increase heat to HIGH. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with bacon and chives. Note: