Basil and Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes
The gloriously vibrant colour of baked sweet potatoes not only mimics the harvest hues but is a surefire indication they are dense with antioxidants. While this might make you feel virtuous, it is really their earthy satisfying taste that makes them most worthwhile. A kick of heat from paprika and sprinkling of fresh basil livens them up even more.
- 3 sweet potatoes, about 2 lbs (1 kg)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Paprika and cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fi nely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2 Prick unpeeled potatoes in several places and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until very tender, from 1 to 1¼ hours. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Then peel or scoop flesh out of skins and cut into chunks.
3 Pulse potatoes in a food processor along with butter, garlic, salt and pinches of paprika and cayenne until as smooth as you like. Or put potatoes through a food mill or mash; then mix in butter, garlic, salt and seasonings. Stir in basil. Taste and add more butter, salt or basil if needed. If not being served right away, potatoes can be left at room temperature for a couple of hours; or refrigerate them, covered, for up to 2 days. Warm in the microwave or an oven dish.
You'll also love
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Sweet... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Avocado Stuffed Pork Chops 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Hearty Beef Pot Roast a la Julia... 3.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Schwans triple berry crumble 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Artichoke Pie 3.7/5 (30 Votes)
- Pioneer Woman Perfect Potato Soup 3.7/5 (103 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie - Weight Watchers 3.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Knoblauchcremesuppe (Austrian... 4.2/5 (12 Votes)