Bacon Apple Stuffing
Bacon adds a smokey and savory flavor, while the apples add a touch of sweetness to this traditional bread stuffing recipe. Perfect side dish any time of year.
- 8 ounces uncured bacon, diced
- 3 celery hearts, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 Gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 multigrain artisan loaf bread, stale or dried in low oven
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 70mins
Preheat oven to 350°.
Add bacon to preheated medium-high pan and cook, stirring, until fat renders, about 4 minutes.
Immediately add celery, onions and apples. Saute, stirring occasionally, until tender and onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in spices and remove from heat.
Cut bread into 1/2" cubes. In large mixing bowl, toss together bread, pecans and hot bacon mixture to blend.
Bring chicken broth to simmer in small saucepan. Carefully pour half of broth over bread mixture and toss to mix. Add more broth a little at a time, tossing between additions, until mixture is moist but not soggy.
Spoon mixture into buttered 1 1/2-qt. covered casserole and bake 45 minutes.