Strawberry Rhubarb Layer Cake
Good Housekeeping April 2014
- 1 orange
- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 lbs. rhubarb, trimmed and sliced
- 1 lb. strawberries (about 4 cup), trimmed and chopped, plus sliced strawberries for garnish
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 12 Tbsp. butter (no substitutions), cut up room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 95mins
1. Into 4-qt. saucepan, squeeze juice from orange. Stir in 2 cups granulated sugar. Cook on med-high until sugar dissolves, stirring. Add rhubarb; cook 5 minute or until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl; cool slightly. Refrigerate, uncovered, 2 hours. Stir in chopped strawberries; refrigerate.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line bottoms of three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper. Grease and flour parchment and sides of pans.
3. In med bowl, whisk egg yolks, whole eggs, 1/4 cup milk, and 2 tsp. vanilla until combined. in large bowl, with mixer on low speed, mix flour, baking powder, remaining 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt; beat in butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk on med-high speed. Add egg mixture in 3 batches, beating well between additions. Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides with knife. Invert cakes onto rack; cool completely.
4. Place 1 cake on plate. Strain liquid from rhubarb mixture; discard. Spread half of rhubarb on cake, leaving 1 inch border. Repeat with second cake remaining rhubarb. Top with third cake.
5. In large bowl, with mixer on high, whisk confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla until fluffy. Slowly drizzle in cream. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form.
6. Cover cake with frosting. Garnish with berries. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap (before garnishing) and refrigerate up to 1 day.
You'll also love
- Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Asparagus Bacon Bundles 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Apple Pear Pie Stackers with... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cornmeal Scrapple Recipe 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Elderberry Pie 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Chocolate Raspberry Trifle 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Mini Donuts 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Sautéed Salmon with Rhubarb... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)