Low Carb Spicy Green Chicken Chili
- 1 tbsp (13.5g) olive oil
- 1 small (70g) onion, peeled and diced
- 2 each (6g) garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 lb (680g) whole boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent thigh meat)
- 2 each (130g) poblano chillies, seeds removed and diced
- 2 each (13.33g) jalepeno chillies, seeds removed and diced
- 1 lb (454g) tomatillos, leafy wrapper removed, washed and diced
- 2 each (133.33g) fresh limes
- 2 tsp (4g) cumin seed, ground
- 1 tsp (2g) coriander seed, ground
- 1/2 tsp (1.17g) guar gum (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (1.5g) xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 bunch (100g) cilantro, washed and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from djfoodie.com
Place a medium soup pot on the stove, over medium heat.
Add the olive oil.
Add the onions and garlic to the pot. Season with a small amount of salt and pepper. Sweat veggies, until translucent.
Lay chicken on top of onions, in the pot. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Cover chicken with poblanos, jalepenos and tomatillos. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Use a zester or the fine side of a cheese grater to zest the outside of the 2 limes (just remove the green part, not the white part). Place the grated lime skin (zest) into the pot. Juice the limes, removing the seeds, and add the juice to the pot.
Cover the pot, lower the heat to "simmer" and allow the contents of the pot mingle, settle and simmer away for 30 minutes.
While this mixture simmers, in a small dry bowl, mix together the cumin, coriander, guar and xanthan gums. Add a small amount of salt and pepper. Blend all ingredients evenly (if you use the guar and xanthan gums, these will thicken the chili and give it a "heartier" feel. Mixing them into the spices will help them more evenly distribute in the chili, without causing any clumping).
When the 30 minutes have passed, remove the lid and stir all the contents of the pot, making sure to turn the breasts over. Evenly dust the top of the pot with the spice blend, then mix it into the chili mixture.
Place the lid back onto the pot and allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes, checking the pot from time to time, to make sure it doesn't burn. If the mixture becomes too thick, you can add a little water or chicken stock to adjust the consistency.
After 60 total minutes, use two forks to break the chicken breasts into large chunks, within the pot.
Stir in the chopped cilantro and make any final seasoning adjustments you may see fit.
Calories Fat Protein Carbs Fiber SA's Net Carbs
Per Serving: 398.07 20.42g 38.2g 16.27g 5.55g 0g 10.72g
You'll also love
- WINGS: Spicy Sriracha Chicken Wings 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken and Broccoli... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Hot Dog Chili 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken & Loaded Potato... 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Asparagus & Chicken Enchiladas 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- The Best Chicken Fajitas by Iowa... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Ground Turkey Low-Carb Enchilada... 4.5/5 (24 Votes)