Low Carb Southern Dill Pickle Chicken Salad
We love to make chicken salad out of leftover roast chicken, especially the pre-cooked grocery store rotisserie chickens we’ll pick up in a pinch on a busy day. Rachel usually makes her own sweet relish out of cucumbers from her garden, but one day when there was no sweet relish in the fridge, I whipped up a batch of this delicious Southern Dill Pickle Chicken Salad from a jar of crunchy dills in the fridge.
Recipe from George Stella’s “Real Food Real Easy” Cookbook.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 ⁄4 cup dill pickles, finely diced
- 1 hard boiled egg, peeled and diced
- 2 ⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ⁄2 packet sugar substitute, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
Fold all ingredients together in a large bowl, shredding chicken with a fork until it is at your desired consistency. The sugar substitute is optional, but adds a nice balance to the salty dill pickles.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes for the ingredients and flavors to mingle, or serve immediately. Serve over a green salad and garnish with fresh dill if you have any on hand.
I like to finely mince 1⁄3 of the chicken in a food processor and shred the remaining 2⁄3 with a fork to make a salad that is the best of both worlds; ground and chunky.
I make an entirely different Dill Chicken Salad by replacing the dill pickle with fresh cucumber, and adding 1⁄4 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh dill.
calories: 175|fat: 8.5g |protein: 21g |fiber: 0g |net carbs:2.5g
You'll also love
- Homestyle Chicken Tender Bake 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie 4/5 (69 Votes)
- Tequila Spiked Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Ranch Dressing 2 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Potato Salad with Herbs & Grilled... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Cranberry Cherry Chicken Salad 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken-Fried Hamburgers 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Ground Turkey Low-Carb Enchilada... 4.5/5 (24 Votes)