Hearty Kale Salad
Per serving: 182 calories; 12 g fat ( 2 g sat , 7 g mono ); 97 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 623 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (312% daily value), Vitamin C (205% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
- View Our Nutrition Guidelines » INGREDIENTS
- 6 cups very thinly sliced kale (about 1/2 large bunch), tough stems removed (see Note)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), coarsely chopped
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Place kale and eggs in a large bowl.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Leaving the bacon fat in the pan, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Chop when cool enough to handle.
Add oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Pour the mushroom mixture over the kale and eggs. Add the bacon and toss to combine.
TIPS & NOTES
Note: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling