Lentil, Kale, and Quinoa Tacos
Recipe by Heather Crosby
This is an updated version of one of the most popular YumUniverse.com recipes. I've received countless comments over the years, especially from the herbivore mamas out there, claiming that when they make these tacos for the family, kiddos and husbands happily mumble with mouths full of seconds, "... if all vegan food tastes this good, I'll never eat meat again!"
- Blue corn taco shells
- For the Filling
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/3 cup Taco Seasoning (p. 133)
- 2-3 large leaves kale, stems removed and chopped
- For the toppings
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1-3 avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Fresh lime wedges
1. Soak quinoa and lentils in two separate bowls of water overnight (8-12 hours).
2. Rinse quino well and place in a pot. Fill pot with enough water to cover quinoa by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil uncovered, then reduce heat to medium. Cover pot and cook for 10-15 minutes until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat but leave led on pot for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
3. Repeat step two using soaked lentils.
4. While the filling cooks, wash cilantro well and remove leaves. Slices avocado in half lengthwise, remove pit, remove fruit from rind, and slice into pieces. Slice lime into wedges.
5. While cooked quinoa and lentils are still warm, fold in taco seasoning and chopped kale leaves. Stir well until heat wilts the leaves. Warm over low-medium heat if necessary.
6. Toast taco shells according to manufacturer's instructions.
7. Load shells with avocado, filling, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime, and serve warm.
You'll also love
- Claim Jumper's Citrus Dressing 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sneaky Chickpea Burgers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cuban Black Bean Cakes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caponata 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sautéed Cabbage with Fennel and... 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Spinach & Artichoke Lasagna Roll... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Angel Hair Pasta with Salmon and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baby Kale and Baby Spinach Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)