Potato Galette With Caraway And Sweet Onion
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, divided, plus more for pan
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons rendered duck or bacon fat, melted
- 1 teaspoon (or more) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/8"-thick slices with a mandoline or V-slicer
- 1 small sweet onion (such as Maui), very thinly sliced
- Ingredient info: Rendered duck fat can be found at better supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and dartagnan.com.
- Special equipment: The outer ring from a 9"-diameter springform pan
Arrange a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425°F. Brush a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet with butter; set springform ring on top.
Toast caraway in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Let cool. Place in a resealable plastic bag; crush with a rolling pin or bottom of a skillet. Place in a large bowl. Add duck fat, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add potatoes; toss to coat.
Arrange 1/4 of potatoes in an even layer inside ring on baking sheet, overlapping as needed. Toss onion in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Arrange 1/3 of onion over potatoes. Repeat layers twice more, finishing with a layer of potatoes. Carefully remove ring.
Bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake until edges of potatoes are deep golden and top is crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.
Run a thin spatula under galette to loosen from foil. Slide onto a platter. Season with salt, if desired.
You'll also love
- HOT CRANAPPLE CIDER 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lamb and Roasted Pepper Kebabs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised beef with red onion... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- un-stuffed cabbage rolls 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crock Pot French Onion Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Potato Soup Crockpot 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Onion Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)