Sweet Onion Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz. orecchiette pasta
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Maul, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 2 oz. fontina cheese grated, about 1/2 cup
- 2 oz. sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated, about 1/2 cup
- 3 Tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice flour (can substitute cornstarch)
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh chives
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 45mins
Bring pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Ai pasta; cook until al dente. Drain pasta; run under cc water and return to pot. Toss pasta with olive oil.
Heat 2 Tbs. butter and 1 Tbs. canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; toss to coat with fat Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high; sprinkle onion with salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, stirring occasional 7-10 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Pulse onion in food processor or blender; set aside.
Heat remaining 6 Tbs. butter in pot over low heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes until mixture turns slightly beige and bubbly. Increase heat to medium; slowly whisk in warm milk. Bring to boil, whisking often. Reduce heat to low; simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickens. Combine cheeses; add to sauce by 1/2-c measures, stirring until cheese melts before next addition. Stir in onion puree; season with salt a pepper.
While sauce simmers, heat remaining canola oil small pot to temperature of 350°F. Coat shallot slices with rice flour, shaking off any excess. Fry in oil 1 minutes or until golden brown. Remove shallots from oil with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
To serve, stir sauce, chives, and parsley in pasta. Cook over low heat until pasta is hot a coated with sauce. Serve immediately, garnish! each serving with some of fried shallots.
You'll also love
- Cheeseburger Soup - Low Carb 4.3/5 (76 Votes)
- Coconut Joys 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Baked Lemon Garlic Spaghetti 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (62 Votes)
- Fried Polenta with Carmelized... 4.4/5 (58 Votes)
- Outback Blooming Onion 4.3/5 (59 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Sweet Onion Chicken 4.6/5 (23 Votes)