Pressure Cooker Creamy Mushroom Sauce
If you don't own a pressure cooker, I'm sure that this recipe can be adapted on a stove top. The beauty of owning a pressure cooker, is that you can reduce the cooking time for most any recipe by 75%. This sauce took 30 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker. It uses a blend of cremini, shiitake and portobello mushrooms, which are simmered with broth, herbs, wine. The finishing touch is freshly grated Parmesan cheese and heavy cream. We thought this recipe was really flavorful, and could be made totally vegetarian by using vegetable broth. Recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated "Pressure Cooking Perfection". Please click on the recipe source to see how I made this on my food blog "A Feast for the Eyes".
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and slice thin
- 10 ounces portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, caps halved and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2-cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Heat oil in pressure-cooker pot over medium heat until shimmering.
Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in flour, garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Whisk in broth and sherry, scraping up any browned bits.
Stir in mushrooms.
Lock pressure-cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. As soon as pot reaches high pressure, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain high pressure.
Remove pot from heat. Quick release pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
Before serving stir in cream and simmer sauce over medium high heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Off heat, stir in Parmesan and parsley.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You'll also love
- CRUSHED RED POTATOES 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Salisbury Steak with Caramelized... 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Fresh Raspberry Sauce 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- American Goulash 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Classic Pumpkin Roll with Orange... 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Barbecue Beef Brisket 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient "Pup"sicles 4.8/5 (10 Votes)