Paleo Albondigas (Meatball Soup)
This is a delicious paleo friendly albondigas soup made with meatballs, assorted vegetables and Mexican seasonings. Enjoy!
- 1 pound groud beef
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat/lard or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 7 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from paleocupboard.com
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well combined and then form meatballs (you should have about 20). Set aside.
Place a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon fat or tallow and allow to heat up. Add the onion,garlic, celery and onion and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the soup, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a side of cilantro and sliced avocado.
This soup freezes well, so you can make a big batch and keep it in smaller containers for leftovers whenever you don't have time to cook or want something quick and easy to eat.
This recipe calls for all ground beef, buy a mixture of half beef and half chorizo is also delicious and adds another depth of flavor to the soup. You can experiment with whatever vegetables you like best, and adjust the seasonings to suite your taste.
You'll also love
- Old-Fashioned Gingerbread 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Pineapple-Caramel Sponge Cakes 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Lemon-Ginger Fish 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Mozzarella Stuffed... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Zuppa Toscana 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Vegetable Soup with Pesto Butter 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Curried Pumpkin Carrot Soup 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Quick Julienned Vegetable Saute 4.3/5 (3 Votes)