Whole Wheat Cranberry- Orange Muffins
- 1 tablespoon trans-free margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or whole grain pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine the margarine or butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar, and orange zest. In another large bowl, mix the orange juice, applesauce, eggs, cranberries, and nuts, if desired. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Evenly divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before serving.
To make use of stale muffins, crumble them and lightly toast in a 350°F oven for about 15 minutes. Use the toasted crumbs to top desserts such as crisps, cobblers, betties, buckles, and crumb cakes.
Nutritional Facts per serving
CALORIES 206.9 CAL
FAT 5.4 G
SATURATED FAT 0.8 G
SODIUM 303.1 MG
CARBOHYDRATES 37.6 G
TOTAL SUGARS 20.5 G
DIETARY FIBER 3.6 G
PROTEIN 4.8 G
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (884 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (886 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (497 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (231 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)