Bear Grylls' Very Manly Blueberry Pie
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tsp. to add to top of crust
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking tapioca
- 6 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (thawed and drained)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 tbsp. butter, cubed
Adapted from people.com
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Stir together 1 cup sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and tapioca in a large bowl. Add berries and lemon juice. Toss gently until berries are coated. Set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Fit one pie crust into a 9-in. pie plate according to package directions. Spoon blueberry mixture into pastry shell and dot with butter.
4. Roll remaining pie crust into a circle 12 in. in diameter. Transfer to top of pie. Fold edges under, press to seal and flute. Sprinkle remaining sugar over top of pastry. Cut several slits in top for steam to escape.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and juices begin to bubble, shielding pie with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
6. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.