Rugelach is a Jewish pastry of Ashkenazic origin. It is very popular in Israel, commonly found in most cafes and bakeries. I've tried a wide variety of Rugelach recipes and this one is my favorite, because of its rich walnut notes and decant raspberry jam mixed with sweet spices, such as cinnamon. These are a treat any time of the year but also make a delicious addition to any Hanukkah table.
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, about 1-pound, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for egg wash
Preparation time 100mins
Cooking time 125mins
Combine butter, cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in a bowl and beat on medium-high speed of a mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add flour, and beat until just combined. Transfer to a work surface and form into a ball; half ball and then cut each half into quarters. Shape each piece into a small disk and wrap individually in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside. Working with 1 disk at a time, transfer to a floured work surface, and using a rolling pin, roll into an 8-inch circle; using an offset spatula, spread 2 tablespoons jam over circle, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons walnuts, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut each circle into 12 wedges; starting from each wide end, roll up wedges to form crescent rolls. Transfer rolls to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with more cinnamon-sugar; bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
You'll also love
- Seafood Stuffed Onion 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Chicken Parmigiana, inspired by... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Spider Deviled Eggs 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Coconut Nutella No Bake Cookies 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Nordstrom's White Chocolate Bread... 4.1/5 (36 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Farmhouse Chicken... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Vegan Passover Kugel 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Rolo Ritz Cracker Cookies 4.3/5 (27 Votes)