Taco Salad With Chipotle Lime Dressing
Hearty red quinoa instead of taco meat, arugula instead of watery lettuce, and a healthy serving of avocado and tomato salsa. You’ll be addicted to the chipotle lime dressing, great for veggie dip or on salads.
- Tortilla strips from 1 tortilla:
- Charred corn & poblano
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off the cob (about 1/2 cup)
- Cherry tomato pico
- 1/4 cup sliced tomatoes (cherry)
- 1/2 lime (1 to 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, white and green, 2 to 3
- A few pinches salt
- Chipotle lime dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Other salad components
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup cubed tofu (or meat or cheese of your choice)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 sliced avocado
Adapted from mom.me
1. Roast the poblano pepper and char the corn: Place poblano under the broiler for 20 or so minutes, until blistered on all sides (time will vary depending on the heat of your broiler). When it’s fully blistered, remove and place in a bowl and cover (not touching) with plastic wrap or a towel. Set aside for 15 minutes or so, until it’s cool enough to handle.
2. Using your fingers, slide off the skin and remove the stem and seeds. Chop into roughly 1/4 inch pieces and place into a small bowl.
3. Toss corn kernels with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast corn kernels under the broiler for 4 to 5 minutes or until they just begin to blacken. Remove from oven, toss with chopped poblano and set aside.
4. In another small bowl, toss together cherry tomatoes, lime juice, scallions and a few pinches of salt. Set aside.
5. In another small bowl, whisk together the dressing: olive oil, lime juice, ancho chili powder, chipotle powder, agave, salt and pepper. (It might taste too tangy/spicy/sweet on its own, but remember that it will get diluted when you mix it with everything else.) Set aside.
6. In a large bowl combine red quinoa, arugula, tofu and cilantro with the dressing. (You might not need all of the dressing; start with half and add more to your liking.)
7. Toss in the charred corn, chopped poblano and pico. Taste and adjust seasonings.
8. Top with sliced avocado and tortilla strips and a squeeze of lime.
Serves 2 to 3 as a full meal, 4 to 5 as a side
You'll also love
- Lean and Mean Barbecued Brisket 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Coconut Flour... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Pea Salad with Bacon & Cheese 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Fuji Apple Walnut Salad 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Juicer Orange Pulp Scones 3.8/5 (76 Votes)
- Irish Lemon Pudding Tart 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Lime Pickles Recipe 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Chicken with Cherry Chipotle Sauce 4.4/5 (9 Votes)