Flammekueche (Onion and Bacon Tart)
- One 17oz package of frozen puff pastry dough
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of thick-cut, bacon cut into 1” pieces
- Half of a medium onion, sliced very thin
Prepare the Pastry-
Defrost the puff pastry dough according to the directions on the box. Roll out each sheet on a flat work surface. Cut an 8-inch disc from each. Place the discs of dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Crimp or roll the outer edge to form a decorative border. Pierce the surface of the dough with the tines of a fork every inch or so until the entire area of the disc inside the border has been punctured. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before assembling the tart.
Prepare the Filling –
Place cottage cheese in food processor. Process the cheese until it is very smooth. If necessary use a rubber spatula to scrape down the cheese that clings to the side of the processor bowl. Add crème fraiche, flour, vegetable oil and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to process until the ingredients are well blended. Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the tart.
Prepare the Topping –
Place bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon until most of the fat has rendered and the pieces are semi-crispy.
Note: Do not cook the bacon all the way through. It will finish cooking in the oven as the tart bakes.
Remove bacon from pan and set on folded paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan. Add onions and return pan to heat. Sauté onions until crisp but not fully cooked through. Remove onions from pan and cool completely.
Finish the Tart –
Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
Ladle about ¼ cup of the filling onto each disc of dough. Spread the filling evenly over the surface of the tart leaving about 1/4” of dough exposed around the inside of the border. Sprinkle onion and bacon topping evenly over the top of the filling. Place the baking sheets that contain the tarts into the preheated oven. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Flammekueche can be served either warm or cold.
You'll also love
- Roasted Tomatoes with Penne and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Arizona Sunshine Lemon Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Garlic Salmon Linguine 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Onion Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage Steam Pot with Potatoes &... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bobby's Favorite Sausage Potato... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Apple Pork Loin Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken with Artichoke's, Onion... 0/5 (0 Votes)