French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Why make french onion soup when you can make it in sandwich form? You get the deliciously salty and cheesy flavor of the soup classic, but in portable form!
- 2 medium to large yellow onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon beer
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup grated apple smoked gruyere cheese
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from simplyscratch.com
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil together.
Add in the onions and stir so they are coated in all the fat. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes.
Stir and add in the salt, pepper, sugar and thyme. Stir, cover the pan with a lid and let cook. Stir occasionally until the onions are soft and a deep golden in color. Reduce the heat if you notice the onions are browning too soon.
Add in the beer and scrape any bits that accumulate on the bottom of the skillet and then remove them off of the heat.
On a preheated griddle or large skillet; place a slice of buttered bread (butter side down) and top it with a little shredded smoked Gruyere. Add half of the onion mixture and then more of the cheese. Top with a second slice of buttered bread (butter side up).
Flip when the bottom is crispy and golden, repeat on second side.
Cut in half, serve and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Cranberry Pear Crisp 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Crispy Crab cakes with tartar sauce 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Amazing Apple pie 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Chicken Bacon Pasta 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread with pumpkin butter... 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Greek lemon potatoes 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Shrimp Hushpuppies 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- Chocolate-Orange Marble Cake 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
Review this recipe