Grapefruit and honey cake
Excerpted from “Molto Batali” (Ecco, $29.99).
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup finely ground fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 medium grapefruits
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 11/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 50mins
1 Heat the oven to 350. Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan with tall sides; dust it with 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs.
2 Using a rasp grater, zest both grapefruits. Juice one of the grapefruits to yield 3/4 cup juice. In a small bowl, combine the zest, juice and olive oil. Set aside.
3 Beat the eggs and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer until frothy and light. Slowly beat in the sugar and honey; continue to mix until pale and thick, about 2 minutes more.
4 Sift together the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and the baking powder in a separate bowl. Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Fold in the citrus zest mixture until incorporated.
5 Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack, 10 minutes. Then remove it from the pan; let it cool to room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving (for 10 servings): 249 calories, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 74 mg cholesterol, 40 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 407 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BLACK BEAN CHICKEN DIP 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken & Pork on Lemongrass and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Savory Lemon Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Curried Cashew, Pear, and Grape... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sparkling Grape Punch 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grapefruit Sabayon Cakes 0/5 (0 Votes)