Kurt’s Lettuce Cups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound diced chicken
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Lime Wedges
- Butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian-style chile paste
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, and chile paste. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and salt, and stir-fry the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through. Stir in the scallions, carrot, and water chestnuts. Cool the chicken mixture in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice mixture, and mint. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Fill lettuce leaves with mixture. Serve with lime wedges.