Aioli (Garlic Mayo)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled and germ removed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 room temperature egg (at least warm it in your hands for a while if it’s right from the fridge)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- Small sprig of fresh parsley (optional)
- Pinch of fresh thyme leaves (optional)
Adapted from stumbleupon.com
Crack and add the egg, garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt, white pepper and a small amount of the oil (a few tsps only) in a food processor or blender. Add herbs if desired. Pulse for a few seconds.
With the food processor running, drizzle in the rest of the oils slowly, in a thin stream of droplets (keeping your cooking oils in plastic squeeze bottles makes this easy) until it becomes creamy and thick. (If using a blender, add the oil in small batches and pulse between each.) Stop for a few seconds periodically to check the consistency. The final sauce should be almost as thick as mayonnaise. Transfer to a small container and serve or cover and refrigerate.