Apple Cranberry Pie
- 1 batch flaky pie dough
- 2 1/2 lb tart apples; Firm
- 2/3 c Sugar; Or light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c Cranberries; rinsed
- 2 tb Flour
- 1 ts Cinnamon
- 1 ts lemon zest; Finely grated
- 3 tb unsalted butter; Cold
Adapted from bigoven.com
To form the pie crust, remove dough from refrigerator and place on flat work surface. Roll dough, still between sheets of plastic, to a 12-inch disk. Peel off top piece of plastic and invert dough into 9-inch pie pan. Gently press dough into pan and peel off top piece of plastic. Trim off excess dough even with edge of pie pan. Chill crust while preparing filling.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set a rack in the lowest level.
For filling, peel, halve and core apples.
Cut apples into 1/2-inch dice.
Place diced apples in a bowl and add filling ingredients, except butter, tossing well to combine.
Place filling in dough-lined pan, mounding it slightly in center.
Dot filling with butter.
For the top crust, lightly flour work surface and dough and roll to a 9 by 12-inch rectangle; cut each piece of dough into 12 strips, each 9 inches long and an inch wide.
Egg wash the strips and arrange five of them, equidistant from each other, on the top of the pie, allowing the excess dough to hang over the edge of the pie.
Place five more strips perpendicular to the first ones on the pie.
Trim away excess dough at the edge of the pie and apply the last two strips to the edge of the pie, egg wash side down.
Flute the edge of the pie and carefully brush with egg wash. If you wish, sprinkle the top of pie with sugar.
Bake the pie for 15 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and move the pie to the middle rack.
Bake the pie about 20 to 30 minutes longer, until the crust is a deep golden and the juices are just beginning to bubble up.
Notes: Recipe courtesy of Nick Malgieri Recipe by: Cooking live Show #9013 Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #969 by "Angele and Jon Freeman" on Dec 19, 1997
You'll also love
- Baked Sweet Potato 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie with Candied Pecans 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Glazed Pork Roast with Carrots,... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Avocado Chicken Salad 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Cool Mixed Berry Pie 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Texas-Style Blueberry Cobbler 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cranberry -Orange Muffins 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Fried Apples 4.4/5 (17 Votes)