Ginger Pear Cranberry Sauce
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 3 medium pears (Anjou, Bartlett, and Bosc are all good) (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled, cored, and diced
- Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced (about 2 tablespoons minced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup water
Add all ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, simmering for about 15 minutes or until the berries burst and the sauce thickens.
Taste and add additional sugar, a teaspoon or two at a time, until you’ve reached your desired balance of tart and sweet.
Cool completely and serve. Keeps in an airtight refrigerated container for up to a week; freeze for up to three months.