Lemon Meringue Pie, Mile High Version
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup Argo® or Kingsford's® Corn Starch
- 2 cups water
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1 (9-inch) baked deep dish pie crust
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Argo® or Kingsford's® Corn Starch
To make PIE: Mix sugar and corn starch in a saucepan.
Stir in water and beaten egg yolks.
Cook over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until mixture reaches a boil. Reduce heat and continue stirring for 1 minute until very thick.
Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and butter until smooth.
Pour hot filling into pie crust.
To make MERINGUE: Beat egg whites with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar and corn starch, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight), about 3 minutes.
Spoon meringue over hot lemon filling, sealing meringue to the edges of the crust.
Use the back of a spoon to swirl meringue and draw up into peaks.
Place oven rack in bottom third of preheated 375°F oven.
Bake 10 minutes, until peaks are lightly browned.
Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Chill for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
You'll also love
- Baked: Cookies: (Paleo) Really!... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Egg - Cheese & Sausage Soufflé 4/5 (64 Votes)
- Avocado, Black Bean, & Corn Salad 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter... 4.4/5 (28 Votes)
- Citrus infused vodka or gin 4.2/5 (52 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue cake 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Pie 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Meyer Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.3/5 (18 Votes)