Lemon Meringue Pie
If you have problems with water in your pie: You cannot cover a lemon meringue pie with plastic wrap to store it. Condensation forms & will leave you with a puddle in your pie! To store, very loosely cover it with tented aluminum foil, leaving a little opening for moisture to escape.
- 1 c sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 c water
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced or 1/2 c lemon juice, whichever you prefer
- 2 tbsp oleo or butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked -- either use your own pie crust recipe or use a pre-made pie crust you can find i your grocer's freezer
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tbsp sugar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 40mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Make the meringue first, set it aside, and then make the filling.
Bake pie crust according to recipe directions. Set aside to cool.
1. In a large bowl, whip egg whites until foamy.
2. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Set aside.
1. In medium sauce pan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
2. Stir in water, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
3. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.
4. Stir in butter (or oleo)
5. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture
6. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture.
7. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Pour filling into baked pie shell.
10. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
Serve warm. Enjoy!
NOTE: You can use your microwave in any instance where you might use a double boiler or have to stir on the stove. So simple. Mix first 6 ingredients in 4 cup microwave bowl. Cook on high until boils, add butter, and mix hot mixture with egg yolks, return to microwave and bring to boil again. No stirring constantly and no mess.
NOTE: To get the moist juice - put a lemon on the counter, then roll it under the palm of your hand, pressing down hard - you're breaking up the membranes and pulp inside, which releases more liquid. If you've got a hard lemon that's not responding to rolling, microwave it for 15 to 20 seconds.
You'll also love
- Carrot Cake 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Princess Pie (Coconut Cream Pie) 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Easy Vegan Avocado Lemon Basil... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Meyer Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pie 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Homemade Lemon MERINGUE PIE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Slab Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)