White Chocolate Cherry Almond Shortbread Cookies
White chocolate baked in these cherry cookies as well as coating the outside make these shortbread cookies a chocolate-lover’s dream! Dip in sprinkles for fun!
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained (reserve liquid) and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons liquid from cherries
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, chilled
- 12 ounces white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter, finely chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- White nonpareils, sprinkles, and/or red edible glitter (optional)
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from the-girl-who-ate-everything.com
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well, reserving 2 tablespoons of cherry liquid. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar.
Using a pastry blender, 2 forks or food processor, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Stir in drained, chopped cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped white chocolate.
Stir in 2 tablespoons reserved cherry liquid, almond extract, and food coloring. Mixture will be very dry and look like crumbs.
Using your hands, knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
Shape dough into 3/4-inch, well-formed balls. Having slightly damp hands helps here.
Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1 1/2-inch rounds.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Do not overbake!
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and shortening.
Cook and stir over low heat until melted.
Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in sprinkles and/or edible glitter.
Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set.
Store layered between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
You'll also love
- Meat Loaf and Potato Cupcakes 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Grilled Gouda, Ham, and Apple... 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Lemon Pudding Cake 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Silky Chocolate Mousse 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Cherry Kolaches 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Buried Cherry Cookies 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Kittencal's Buttery Cut-Out Sugar... 4.5/5 (32 Votes)