Petite Smoked Salmon and Avocado Club Sandwich
If you wish to make these little conversation starters up to half a day ahead of time, be sure to sprinkle the sliced avocados with a little lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown. Cover and refrigerate until your guests arrive.
- QUICK RED ONION “PICKLES”
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (5 mL) whole coriander seed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) yellow mustard seed
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- LEMON MAYONNAISE
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 whole wheat or whole grain baguette, at least 12 inches (30 cm) long
- 1 small bunch watercress
- 7 oz (210 g) thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
1 For the red onion pickles, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and spices in a medium saucepan over high heat. Allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds then add the onion slices and boil another minute or until onions are tender-crisp. Pour into a glass jar and refrigerate until cool.
2 To make the mayonnaise, combine all of the lemon mayonnaise ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
3 For the sandwiches, cut the baguette into twenty-four ½-inch (1-cm) slices. Spread 16 slices with Lemon Mayonnaise. Divide water cress between 8 undressed slices of bread. Top watercress with smoked salmon and cover with a slice of dressed bread, mayonnaise-side down. Place a few pieces of avocado on each sandwich and then top each with a scant tbsp (25 mL) of pickled onions. Finish with final slice of dressed bread, mayonnaise-side down, and cut each sandwich in half if desired. Secure with toothpicks.
You'll also love
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Crab... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Shrimp Empanadas 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Asparagus and Potato Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Citrus Garlic Turkey Breast 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pineapple Coconut CheeseCake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spiced Seared Tuna Gazpacho 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Salmon w/ sun-dried... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Salmon Pasta Dish 4.5/5 (44 Votes)