Roasted Asparagus and Potato Soup
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds asparagus, bottoms trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups peeled and diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 6 ounces nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place the garlic on a square of foil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon water. Fold the foil into a packet. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, potatoes, onion, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Toss to coat. Spread the vegetables over 2 large, rimmed baking sheets. Place the packet of garlic in one corner of one of the sheets.
4. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the asparagus pieces are soft and the potatoes are tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium, crisp the prosciutto, about 5 minutes per side.
6. When the vegetables are roasted, empty the garlic onto the baking sheet with the other vegetables and cool for 5 minutes.
7. Transfer half of the vegetables into a blender. Add 1 1/2 cups of the broth, then blend until smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Repeat using the remaining vegetables and remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth. Warm the soup over medium heat.
8. Whisk the yogurt, lemon juice and tarragon into the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Crumble the prosciutto and use to top each serving.